About Me

My photo
Hasan Malik is a master of awkward moments and creating unnecessary pauses... being normal is so boring. Trust me I've tried being average it's just not for me. So please join in moments of awkward platypusness and itchy souls because it's good for your health. Random is the name of the game. Internet, Check ✓

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Scratching Nostalgia

Hello pretty people! It's me again, this is day two of my scratchy soul encounters. Glad to have you back.

Sooo anyway I was out somewhere about a week ago in NY on the train I believe, and I overheard a conversation between a lady and a gent sitting a few seats away. Now I wasn't listening in on their convo, but the young lady was speaking loud enough for a respectable-minding their own business-not eves dropping person like myself to know what they were conversing about anyway. So I was catching bit and pieces of it, you know nothing serious. But then the young lad had accused the afore mentioned gal of leaving trash of some sort in his coat pockets. Upon being accused she proceeded to suck her teeth and said "...nigga they ain't mines!"
Now you know how when you going through your regular day life and you just hear stuff buzzing around you? And certain things might jump out and catch your ear. And because of euphonious brainwashing we finish the line or phrase with what we've been conditioned to.

For example: I was talking to a big haired friend of mine last night and I believe she was playing music or something inspired her to say, "skip it". And instantly the jingle from my childhood pops into my head, and thanks to the glory of youtube I then looked up the commercial and began to sing along. "Hey now kids come gather round, see what just skipped into town! Skip-It, Skip-It, do a good jump, do a hop! Skip-It, Skip-It, twirlin' and a-whirlin' and a bop-she-bop! And the very best thing of all, there's a counter on this ball. So try and keep your very best score, see if you can jump a whole lot more!''

....Anyway so my point being you know those trigger words that are like engrained in you brain forever and ever?

For example #2: If I was to ask you what is "more fun than a pillow fight?" unless you never watch at least a half hour of nickelodeon as a child. You would already know off the bat that Sock em Boppers are, duh!

So anyway I've digressed, back to the train ride. Once I heard her say "...they ain't mines!" i instantly completed the phrase with "...they Bebe's kids!" (Long winded I know)

So after that moment passed Bebe's kids phrases kept popping into my head. "we dont die! we multiply!" Its has to have been about twelve years since I last saw that movie. And for some reason I remember it being off limits to me. My parents tried to protect me from the evils of the world. But I think I seen it over at my cousins house anyway. (PARENTS!!! STOP TRYING TO SHELTER KIDS, SHIT DONT WORK) Needless to say I didn’t remember a damn thing about the movie sitting on the train so I forgot about it.

So fast forward to last night/this morning (really hard to distinguish) I was bored in front of my laptop and seen a video on youtube with a clip from "the PJ's", which then reminded me of Bebe and her bad ass kids. So I look up the movie and of course youtube has it so conveniently chopped into eight, ten minute long videos for my viewing pleasure. And upon watching it again now twenty years old and with a lot more analytical capabilities, I ran into a problem. This shit is mad problematic. But they played it off so well that I almost didn’t catch it.

(ok so if you haven't seen the movie i'ma explain it for you but i'ma need to get niggerish on you to do it, so just be warned)
So homeboy Rob see this really fly shawty that he tryna bag at dis funeral and shit ("and shit" was so unnecessarily placed right there, but it actually fits! crazy!). So he go and holla at her, and she brush him off not tryna give him no play, you kno how jawns be, den she like if you tryna get wit this then you gona have to get wit my son too. And he like, shiiit im down!! aint nuthin but a thing to distract a lil kid. So he like ight ill pick you and the lil man up and take ya'll to Funworld tomorrow. So da next day he come through and now dis jawn got like three mo lil kids runnin round!!! He wtf!! so anyway dem lil muhfuckas aint hers, they Bebe's kids and she just lookin after them. ok so fast-forward, the day at the park is just full stupidness, kids just breaking shit. Rob's crazy ass chick that he used to mess wit was there drawlin hard as hell, and the white man who own the park is tryna keep the brothas down basically. ok fast-forward end of the movie. Now Rob ben bitchin and moanin for the whole flick about these badass kids and how they test tube babies and all that. So when he drop them off a Bebe's spot he wana go in and give jawn a piece of his mind. Turns out Bebe aint even home and its like one in da mornin and the fridge is empty kids is hungry, and the pizza man dont delivery to they part of the neighborhood no mo (go figure). Oh yea an the daddy aint around. So as much as Rob hated them lil nigglets he had to feel sorry for them (of course he did, its in the script). But he leaves them anyway gets into an argument shawty, drops her off and now he's out two fifty and aint got no butt to show for it (damn...smh). So to make an already short story even shorter he's at the bar feeling bad bout just leaving them there, and decides to go back for them, as he exits the bar shawty is standing there with all them bad ass kids in the car and every bodies happy and the take a trip to Vegas to go wreck more shit, and everybody lives happily ever after right?....WRONG!!!!!

Niggas just tried to deceive the hell outa me. That ending didn’t solve shit! All it did was prolong the inevitable trip back home for the kids walk into an empty crib, with an empty fridge, with an absent possibly crack addicted mother, and dead beat nowhere to be found father. All that movie accomplished to tell me was that life is fucked up, and it sucks, and aint shit you can do about it except distract yourself at "funworld" and a getaway to vegas. But eventually you gona have to bring your poor ass back to the hood and thats the way the cookie crumbles...

Sooo...im not sure where I was going with that just kinda tranced out a lil bit. But it's cool, because that's why we're here, for awkward tantrums and itchy rationalizations. Pretty much I think my point was something along the lines that back in the day we just took all that stuff in without looking deeper into it. Some of us where able to just make it entertainment, but then others seen it as reality. And I mean look at us today, ain't shit changed, we just got better graphics...
Well i think that’s enough from my irritated spirit today...
Once again, this is an itchy awkward soul signing off
till next time
stay random

Internet, check ✓

5 comments:

  1. im with rhythm. way to rant sir. and i rebuke your "big haired" friend statement in the name of God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post just changed my life. seriously, im weeping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So in the spirit of randomness what if there was a sequel to the movie? How would you show the lives of those 3 bad ass kids raising themselves in a bad ass hood and taking random trips with strangers? Would Leon grow up to go to college and Uncle Tom it up? Would LaShawn become the next cracked out loose lipped(take it how u want)absent baby momma hood rat fiend out late nights either clubbin' or trickin' like I imagine her mother before her? Would Kahlil be another gangsta rapper like he obviously was portraying, and end up shot up nine times survive only to be thrown in prison while his 7 babies and 7 babymoms stand in line waiting on that 1st of the month? Would PeeWee get an even deeper smokers voice lol, and grow up to sell rocks long enough to realize there's not enough money in it and move up to distribution and make enough money to at least pay for all the babes he has walking around, just long enough to have them sell rocks and make his money back with interest? Who knows. But this short trip down memory lane brings a heavy heart thinking of how this cartoon not only made living like that okay but even made it seem fun. Hey boys and girls chase ass and don't worry about your kids they'll figure something out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Better question given they have no food, no father, and an imaginary mother would any of them even still be alive?

    ReplyDelete